Sunday, March 9, 2014

Discerning Conversations

It’s weird how much one day, one conversation, or one moment can change your life.


               I've never really thought about it all that much before what happened a few weekends ago, because something happened that probably changed my life forever. 

               Before I begin to explain what happened, you should probably know that I’m a Catholic. (Roman Catholic to be specific, but unless you are Catholic that might not make sense to you.) Anyway, as a young woman who is a Catholic, I have to discern what God wants me to do. Of course, I could always just ignore what God wants me to do, but I don’t think that would end up too well.

               Anyway, a part of my (or anyone’s, I suppose) discernment, is that I have to figure out what type of lifestyle God is calling me to. There’s the well-known marriage route, but then there’s the also well-known, but not as acceptable to secular society consecrated life (whether that be in the convent or as a consecrated virgin), and there is, of course, the single life.

               Until a few weeks ago, I had kind of pushed away the possibility of the consecrated life. Of course, like many other Catholic girls, I had dreamed of being a nun when I was younger, but I never really gave it much consideration as I grew older. I did this because I thought that I should be a mother. However, I went to a talk that changed my viewpoint entirely.

               My college recently held a discernment weekend, where a bunch of priests, brothers, and sisters came out, and they gave talks. A married couple also gave a few talks, which was really good and helped me come to this realization even sooner.

               But anywho, during one of the talks that was given by a Dominican sister, she mentioned that all women are called to be mothers. She explained how feeling that way isn't a bad thing, and that even if you feel called to be a mother you should also look at the religious life, since sisters are the ‘mothers’ of all those who come to them for help.

               I had never thought of it that way, and now, because of realizing that, I’m beginning to think that I am called to be a sister. I had never really embraced the possibility, but the little voice in my head from when I was little never really went away. Talking to some of the Daughters of Saint Paul helped, as they really helped me learn more about what it means to be a sister, not a nun. (Nuns are cloistered, so you’ll never see a nun walking around. But you will see sisters, because they aren't cloistered.)

               So the Dominican sisters might not have even realized how important that talk was for me, and I wish that I could tell them, so I hope one day I can express my gratitude for opening my eyes a little bit.
               
               I’m not saying that I’m going to join the convent tomorrow, but I am thinking about it, which I think the world needs more of. Not to say that the married life isn't holy, because it is. But I feel like people push away the religious life since it’s not socially acceptable. I find that to be really sad.

   Hopefully it’ll change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment