Thursday, March 13, 2014

Contemplating Families

It is always strange to stay at other people's houses. 


This week, it's my spring break. Which is great, because I really needed time off from the normal humdrum of school life.

The Doctor agrees that it was time for a break.


I've been staying at the lovely Ally's house for this week, since a plane ticket back home cost too much. But I can't complain, because both she and her family (including the wonderful Athena) have been really welcoming.

I have to admit though, it has been really different from my home life.

As you might remember, I only have one elder brother, Ryan. Which makes the house to be pretty quiet, for the most part. On the other hand, Ally is the eldest of five, with the youngest being nine. This, of course, means that there is always something going on, whether it be school, or a silly argument, or anything else. It's actually been nice to spend time with her family, because they are so different from my own. It makes me realize how grateful I am for only having one elder sibling.

Not to say that big families are a bad thing!

It's just that I'm very introverted, almost painfully so. I've learned how to disguise it fairly well, but if you throw me in a large group of people I'll just listen to what others have to say, rather than speak up. There are even times when I'm just with my family when I just stay quiet, because I'd rather not interrupt. Or I just think about what I want to say for too long and, as a result, by the time I want to say something the flow of conversation has moved to a completely different topic.

This is me when I try to talk sometimes....

I imagine that if my immediate family were large, I would have adapted somehow. I honestly don't know how that would have worked out, possibly only because it didn't work out that way.

Anywho, I'm so glad that I've been able to spend time with Ally's family. They make me feel like I belong, which, although overwhelming at first, is really nice. It gives me a sense of security that, if I need to, I can talk to them about whatever, whenever. It makes me feel like I have a home away from home, and that is something that can't be replaced for anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment